Civil Traffic Forms:

Options - If you have been charged with a civil traffic violation, you have the following rights:

  • The right to have a civil traffic hearing before a justice of the peace or a civil traffic hearing officer.
  • The right to be represented by counsel at the hearing. If you choose to be represented by counsel you must notify the court in writing at least 10 calendar days prior to the hearing date, otherwise you waive your right to be represented by an attorney. The court does not appoint attorneys for civil traffic violations.
  • The right to question witnesses testifying against you and cross-examine them as to the truthfulness of their testimony.
  • The right to present evidence on your behalf and the right to have subpoenas issued by the court at no cost to you to compel the attendance of witnesses.
  • The right to appeal the outcome of the civil traffic hearing. There is, however, no right to appeal a judgment entered by default because of your failure to appear.

Pay Citation

You may pay your citation or monthly payment to the court by money order, certified check or credit card. You also have the option to pay online.
If you are required to pay fines, penalties, fees or other financial obligations as a result of judgment of this court and you are unable to pay, bring this information to the attention of court staff or the judge because payments over time or other alternatives may be available. Do not ignore your responsibility to pay, as this may result in additional penalties and costs to you. For more information, contact the court or an attorney.

Plea of Responsible

A civil traffic violation does not require a court appearance before the Judge. You may enter a plea of responsible and pay the fine in person or by mail. Follow the instructions on the bond schedule provided to you by the officer. You will be required to pay the bond amount listed on your bond schedule. The Courts accept money orders, certified checks or credit card. Do not send cash through the mail. You may also pay online by clicking here.

Plea of Not Responsible

You may request a civil traffic hearing by mail or by appearing on your scheduled court date. If you request a hearing, you give up the option of attending a defensive driving school. You may post a deposit that is equal to the fine amount. You will receive a new hearing date. If you fail to appear on the new hearing date, your deposit will be forfeited. If you do not post a deposit prior to the hearing date, you must be prepared to pay the fine in full on the hearing date if you are found responsible.

Attend Defensive Driving School

If you received a civil traffic moving violation, you may be eligible to take a defensive driving class and have the violation dismissed.  Find out more about Defensive Driving School.

Appeal Process

After the conclusion of a civil traffic hearing, the State or the defendant may appeal the judge's ruling. The appeal procedure is set forth in Rules of Court Procedure for Civil Traffic and Civil Boating Violations and in the Arizona Revised Statutes.
To start an appeal, a Notice of Appeal must be filed with the originating court within fourteen (14) calendar days from the date of the final order. If a Notice of Appeal is not filed within 14 calendar days, the final order can no longer be appealed.
There are two stages to the appeal process. The first stage begins in the Justice/Municipal Court; the second stage takes place in the Superior Court. All steps must be completed at both stages to avoid possible dismissal of the appeal.
The person who files the appeal is the Appellant. The opposing party is the Appellee. The Justice/Municipal Court is the trial court.
If the fine has been paid in full, the fine may be held as a bond throughout the appeal process. If the option of a payment plan is provided by the court, the defendant must remain compliant with the agreed upon terms during the appeal process.