CIVIL TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS
If you have received a civil traffic citation, you can respond in one of the following ways:
- Attend defensive driving school
Plead Not Responsible and request a hearing
Plead Responsible and pay the civil penalty
ATTEND DEFENSIVE DRIVING SCHOOL
You are eligible for this program if:
• The offense for which you are charged is a civil traffic moving violation.
• You do not want to contest your ticket.
• You have not attended a Defensive Driving Course for dismissal of any violation issued in the last 24 months.
IF YOU HAVE A COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE (CDL), YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND THE DIVERSION PROGRAM FOR DISMISSAL OF A CITATION.
BENEFITS TO YOU IF YOU ATTEND A DIVERSION PROGRAM:
• The violation you attend Defensive Driving School for will be dismissed.
• You do not pay the fine for that violation.
• No points will be assessed on your driving record.
• No court appearance will be required.
To attend a diversion program you must contact: 1-888-334-5565 or visit the website at: http://www.azdrive.com
The court will only accept classes which are certified by the Arizona Supreme Court.
Defensive Driving School must be completed seven (7) days prior to your appearance date.
• If you have been charged with A.R.S. 28-645A3A or A.R.S. 28-647 or are under the age of eighteen (18) and charged with a first offense moving violation, the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles will require you to attend Traffic Survival School in addition to any other penalties imposed by the court. If you are eligible to attend a defensive driving school and complete a class prior to your court date, your violation will be dismissed and you will not be required to attend Traffic Survival School.
Plea of Not Responsible
You may request a civil traffic hearing by mail or by appearing on your scheduled court date. If you request a hearing, you give up the option of attending a defensive driving school. You may post a deposit which is equal to the fine amount. You will receive a new hearing date. If you fail to appear on the new hearing date, your deposit will be forfeited. If you do not post a deposit prior to the hearing date, you must be prepared to pay the fine in full on the hearing date if you are found responsible.
Plea of Responsible
A civil traffic violation does not require a court appearance before the Judge. You may enter a plea of responsible and pay the fine in person or by mail. Follow the instructions on the bond schedule provided to you by the officer. You will be required to pay the bond amount listed on your bond schedule. The Courts accept money orders, certified checks or Visa/MasterCard. Do not send cash through the mail. If your citation is in the Kingman/Cerbat Justice Court, Kingman Municipal Court, Bullhead Justice Court or North Canyon Justice Court precinct you may pay online by clicking here.
Failure to Appear or Pay Will Result in Serious Consequences
Failure to appear will result in an admission of responsibility and judgment will be entered for the State. The court will report the failure to the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles and direct that your license be suspended and remain suspended until the civil penalty is paid in full. A time payment fee, a suspension fee, and collection fees will also be added to the civil penalty.
If you have Criminal Traffic or Misdemeanor violations included on your citation, you must appear before the judge on your scheduled appearance date.